Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Sailboats in the Water


I've embarked on a brand new sculpture in my studio this past week and I must say I'm pretty excited about it. This sculpture is based on this image that I have.  What I wanted to do was to create a line drawing and then shape 1/2"x3/16" flat bar to make all the shapes.  What I find most fascinating about this is that a photograph or a painting is only two dimensional whereas a metal sculpture is three dimensional.  That's what I love about my work.  I began by having the jpeg image put onto an overhead projector sheet, then project the image onto a sheet of plywood to the size of the finished sculpture.

This video shows part of the process in making this sculpture. I show how I use a sheet of paper to make the shape that I need and then transpose that shape onto my welding table.  After that I show how I bend the piece of flat bar using my mig welder, oxygen acetylene torches and grinders.

This sculpture will be six feet wide by twenty inches high. I'm considering using a well weathered sheet of copper, which has a gorgeous patena for the sails, and some sheet metal for the background trees in the background

This sculpture will appeal to the sailing enthusiast.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jack

    This was a fantastic post. I loved watching you create the shape.... It is going to be an absolutely fabulous sculpture!!!

    Looking forward to seeing the finished project.

    Fran

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fran.... Many people comment that they like to see the process not just the finished sculpture.

      Delete