Saturday, March 3, 2018

My Life As A Modern Day Hunter-Gatherer

How to be a modern day hunter gathererI’ve made claims that my life now is more likened to a modern day hunter-gatherer than that of a farmer-herder. I see a farmer or a herder as one who stays in one place garnering all that they need in life from one source – a job or career, whereas the hunter-gatherer goes out daily and collects from many sources. One day perhaps he manages to shoot a mastodon and it feeds him for many days and weeks, or perhaps nothing much is found so all he comes home with is a basket full of berries. A successful hunter-gatherer does not let this worry him though, for he knows that tomorrow bigger and better things will be there for him.

That’s how it is for me. I’ve worked in the construction industry for forty-seven years. That life is like being a farmer or herder; always relying on one source for ones needs. For the past several years though I’ve moved away from farming and herding to hunting and gathering, and I must say I’m enjoying this much more. The modern day term for this is "diversification" or metaphorically speaking, "not putting all your eggs in one basket".

I still do construction work but very little now. Several years ago I took a course in welding and oxy-acetylene cutting and began my career in creating abstract metal art. Now this has proven to be very fruitful, not only making and selling art, but conducting workshops at my studio as well. 
Also I make cremation containers for a local funeral home. 
I provide a service where I do dump runs, and I find that what people don’t need or want I sometimes turn this around and make money on that. For example, I may get a piece of furniture that I can re-sell or perhaps there is metal in the dump run that I can use for my artwork, and if not, I can sell it at the scrap yard for cash. 
Also, as a minimalist, I’ve been selling that which I don’t need or want anymore. 
What’s really new for me is recently I’ve been asked to conduct a speaking engagement or workshop on journaling which I will get paid for, so I can add professional speaker to my hunting and gathering skills. Oh yes, I’ve reached the age of retirement and now get my retirement pension checks from the government.

For the average person this type of lifestyle would be too stressful. I don’t find it to be so because my whole life I always wondered if there would be work tomorrow. I’ve learned to trust.

There is a story in the Bible where the Israelites were in transition from Egypt to the Promised Land and wandered in the desert for forty years. They were in need of food so the Lord provided ‘manna from heaven’. Every morning there was a white substance that could be gathered off the ground that fed them for the day. There was only enough for one day though, and the people had to trust that tomorrow there would be food provided again for them again. This went on for the remainder of their journey and once they arrived there was plenty of other types of food for them.

So, for me I’ve been wandering in the desert for the past forty-seven years, always trusting that there would be food tomorrow, and so far I have not been let down. I wake up each morning and look for my preverbal manna.

What are your thoughts on this? Are you a hunter-gatherer? If so, how is it working for you?
x

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this Jack--as I have enjoyed watching you grow and create in your life as a hunter gatherer. I have always been a herder--keeping things together, linear, knowing what to expect day to day. But the hunter gather lifestyle is nudging me....thanks for this, Marina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Marina. I too have watched yours and Harry's life and it must be challenging at times married to a great hunter-gatherer like Harry. It's good living a life of trust

      Delete
  2. Good Morning Jack. This was a good read and provoked me to reflect upon the history of my adult life. I've been both a farmer-herder and a hunter-gatherer. Variety, being the spice of life, has kept things interesting. I've known wealth and the false sense of security that can bring, and I've known what the government calls "poverty". What I've learned from both is that the secret to enjoying life comes with being able to say, like the Apostle Paul said, "I've learned to be content with whatever state I'm in". The manna always comes, and it's always enough. I'm looking forward to your writing workshop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Kimberley, I too know what it is to have much and to have little. I recently read an article that claims that those who are financially are happiness poor. Something to be said for having little eh?

      Delete