Sunday, March 11, 2018

Building a new forge

I bought this small forge several years ago, and I never used it so I decided to sell it. The blower works good but the fire pot is starting to rust out and the legs are in rough shape too. I posted this on several "For Sale" sites including the one for Blacksmiths For Beginners. 

I was asking $550 dollars for this, not because of the value of the fire pot but because of the value in the blower. I had one fellow comment that he bought one similar to this for $25 and indicated that I was asking too much. There is always someone who gets a great deal. 

I had it up for awhile and got no responses so I decided to rebuild the forge. I found a piece of sheet metal approximately 32"x22"x3/16" thick.  Perfect. I was going to reuse the blower on this new forge but after cutting the hole in the plate steel for where the air comes in I realized that I should have had the hole a little closer to the side. The blower was not really going to work.  I decided at that point to use electric air, as I call it. 

This was a really neat project. I was able to get all the parts I needed although I was hoping for some sort of blower/fan but could not find one anywhere in town. I decided to use a hair dryer as so many people have used before. I did a test and the forge worked really good. 

I thought that I would sell this one for $350, because I could always make another. As a matter of fact, when this sells I'm going to do just that.  I already have another brake drum ready to go. I'll go to the metal shop and buy the material to make it. 

I could do this. Make forges. There are many people who want to get into forging but don't have the welding facilities to make their own.

Do you want a forge?   Contact me....

No comments:

Post a Comment